Tuesday, April 01, 2008

How I stopped trying and started living


My mind was racing - again - as I thought of the thirty odd things I had to do; all of them seemingly critical to our success. As I talked on the phone to my friend Patty, I whined about how much work I’d had to do on getting her courses up and running on our online scheduling system; I whined to my other friend, Carol, the organizer extraordinaire, about a visit from an old friend that had created more unfinished work for me to do. In retrospect, It seems like I whined to every unfortunate soul I came in contact with today - ick!

As I listened to myself, I began to feel uncomfortable at how un-resourceful I sounded, how I sounded like a freaking victim -- which I definitely am not! I stopped in my tracks and looked at what work I was doing and realized how much I had accomplished and that much of it I actually enjoyed; I could even say it was fun and challenging.

I had allowed an old habit of not being present to what was actually happening sidetrack me from noticing what I was doing in that very moment, moving from one task to the next intuitively and gracefully and enjoying myself.

As I let my ideas and old habits drop away, I became still and saw the absolute perfection in what I had chosen to do in that moment. Past moments dropped away, future tripping stopped and I took my dog, Max, for a walk -- I simply let go and followed the flow of what was right in each moment, and it was perfect and effortless and fun.

The older I get, the better I get at seeing the unconscious moments and moving out from them. I really like aging!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, this is a first time blogger here! I just want to say the wisdom of aging does make us appreciate, accept, and snap us right into the present. Exactly where we need to be in order to live each moment fully during the time we have. Here, here, Taru!